This project reports on the Imperial Laws Application Bill introduced in the Parliament of New Zealand on 21 October 1986.
Purpose of reference
1. To propose ways of making legislation as understandable and accessible as practicable and of ensuring that it is kept under review in a systematic way.
2. To ascertain what changes, if any, are necessary or desirable in the law relating to the interpretation of legislation.
With these purposes in mind, the Commission is asked to examine and review:
1. the language and structures of legislation;
2. arrangements for the systematic monitoring and review of legislation;
3. the law relating to the interpretation of legislation;
4. the provisions of the Acts Interpretation Act 1924 and related legislation; and to recommend changes, as appropriate, to the relevant law and practice.