This project reviews the rules relating to the parental status of adults with children, including the review of the legal meaning of parent, the purpose of parenthood laws, and the importance of the legal relationship between a parent and child...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Researching issues filter Researching issues
- (-) Remove Reviewing submissions filter Reviewing submissions
- Discontinued (1) Apply Discontinued filter
- Open (2) Apply Open filter
- (-) Remove Closed filter Closed
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Civil filter Civil
- (-) Remove Family filter Family
- (-) Remove Commercial filter Commercial
- Public (47) Apply Public filter
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (39) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Criminal (37) Apply Criminal filter
- Other (31) Apply Other filter
- Human Rights (24) Apply Human Rights filter
- Social (21) Apply Social filter
- Evidence (14) Apply Evidence filter
- Property/Trusts (14) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Customary and Treaty Settlements Law (10) Apply Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter
- International Law (7) Apply International Law filter
- Consumer (5) Apply Consumer filter
This project recommends changes to the framework for the regulation of life insurers and life insurance products in New Zealand.
The purpose of this project is to consider: whether there is a need for clarifying or extending the power of the Family Court to require a person to whom Part I of the Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988 applies to live in...
This project considers what changes, if any, are necessary and desirable in the administration, management and procedure of the Family Court in order to facilitate the early resolution of disputes. The Commission was requested to consider:...
This project discusses nine current trust law problems and makes recommendations thereon. One proposal is to authorise trustees to delegate to agents their powers to administer the trust, including powers of investment and management, but...
This project examines the law of general discovery. The essential issue is on whether and how the virtues of the existing rules as to general discovery could be preserved while at the same time eliminating waste and extravagance from the process...
This project considers and reports on: whether taking subsequent law changes into account there remains a need for the continued existence of the Joint Family Homes Act 1964; and if there is a need for its continued existence, whether the Act...
This project is a response to the July 2000 decision of Doogue J in Natural Gas Corporation Holdings Ltd v Infratil 1998 Ltd  3 NZLR 727.
In August 2000, we were asked, as part of the insolvency law review, to provide further advisory reports to the Ministry of Economic Development. The topics which we were asked to consider were:
(a) the role of the State in insolvency law...
This project addresses the issue of whether in the interests of effective processes of tax assessment there should be a modification (beyond that already contained in the Tax Administration Act 1994 section 20) of the rules protecting from...