Aotearoa New Zealand has laws aimed at protecting the public from reoffending risks posed by some offenders convicted of serious crimes. These laws enable the detention or supervision of those offenders beyond a fixed-term prison sentence (...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Discontinued filter Discontinued
- (-) Remove Researching issues filter Researching issues
- Open (3) Apply Open filter
- Closed (71) Apply Closed filter
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Civil filter Civil
- (-) Remove Human Rights filter Human Rights
- (-) Remove Social filter Social
- Other (2) Apply Other filter
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (1) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Criminal (1) Apply Criminal filter
- Evidence (1) Apply Evidence filter
- Public (1) Apply Public filter
Hapori whānui me te tangata mōrea nui: he arotake o te mauhere ārai hē me ngā ōta nō muri whakawhiu | Public safety and serious offenders: a review of preventive detention and post-sentence orders
Project status: Discontinued Start date 27 July 2016 Last updated 06 April 2021
The declaratory judgment is an important judicial remedy. It provides an efficient and effective means by which parties can clarify and establish their legal rights and obligations, without the need for further remedies. There is, however,...