This project examines and reviews the law relating to bodies incorporated under the Companies Act 1955, and reports on the form and content of a new Companies Act.
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Researching issues filter Researching issues
- (-) Remove Reviewing submissions filter Reviewing submissions
- Discontinued (1) Apply Discontinued filter
- Open (2) Apply Open filter
- (-) Remove Closed filter Closed
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Civil filter Civil
- (-) Remove Family filter Family
- (-) Remove Commercial filter Commercial
- Public (47) Apply Public filter
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (39) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Criminal (38) Apply Criminal filter
- Other (32) Apply Other filter
- Human Rights (25) Apply Human Rights filter
- Social (21) Apply Social filter
- Evidence (15) Apply Evidence filter
- Property/Trusts (14) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Customary and Treaty Settlements Law (10) Apply Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter
- International Law (7) Apply International Law filter
- Consumer (5) Apply Consumer filter
This project examines the Limitation Act 1950 and makes recommendations on changes needed to it. The principal recommendation is that the 1950 Act is repealed and replaced with a new Limitation Defences Act of wide application and with three...
This project examines and reviews that part of the Accident Compensation Act 1982 which recognises and is intended to promote the general principles of community responsibility, comprehensive entitlement, complete rehabilitation, real...
In October 1997 the Law Commission started a new project on the subject of international trade. This is the first of four reports which will deal with international trade issues. It addresses, in a preliminary way, the subject of electronic...
This project reviews the law relating to personal property securities in New Zealand. It recommends that a new Personal Property Securities Act be enacted in place of Part IV of the Companies Act 1955, and the whole of the Chattels Transfer Act...
This project consists of seminars that focus on and provoke discussion of the underlying objectives and overall coherence of the reforms of various laws affecting intellectual property.
This project reviews six contract statutes with the assistance of leading experts. The preparation and wider dissemination of these valuable accounts of the jurisprudence which has developed around the statutes is the major purpose of the review...
This project arises from ongoing work on damages and the introduction into Parliament of the Employment Contracts Bill.
This project considers the rules in Bain v Fothergill and Joyner v Weeks. The Commission concludes that the rules established in the two cases were unjustified and contrary to principle. It proposes that they be abolished by...
The Report for this project is the third arising from the Law Commission’s review of aspects of damages. In 1991, the Commission reported on Employment Contracts and the Rule in Addis v Gramophone Co (R18, 1991), and on The Rules in ...