The purpose of this project to devise a solution to an untidiness in judicial review procedure. The mischief is that there are decisions (exercises of the prerogative for example) which may be subjected to judicial review, but to which the...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Awaiting Government Response filter Awaiting Government Response
- (-) Remove Reviewing submissions filter Reviewing submissions
- (-) Remove Work on hold filter Work on hold
- Discontinued (1) Apply Discontinued filter
- Open (2) Apply Open filter
- (-) Remove Closed filter Closed
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Public filter Public
- (-) Remove Courts and Dispute Resolution filter Courts and Dispute Resolution
- (-) Remove Commercial filter Commercial
- (-) Remove Property/Trusts filter Property/Trusts
- Criminal (37) Apply Criminal filter
- Civil (32) Apply Civil filter
- Other (30) Apply Other filter
- Human Rights (24) Apply Human Rights filter
- Family (22) Apply Family filter
- Social (21) Apply Social filter
- Evidence (14) Apply Evidence filter
- Customary and Treaty Settlements Law (10) Apply Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter
- International Law (7) Apply International Law filter
- Consumer (5) Apply Consumer filter
This project originally commenced in 1994 at the suggestion of the Honourable Justice Durie, who at that time was Chief Judge of the Mäori Land Court. Justice Durie was of the view that some knowledge of Mäori custom would greatly assist judges...
This project sought to address issues in the Matrimonial Property Bill and the De Facto Relationships (Property) Bill introduced on 24 March 1998. The key issues were a) there were marked differences between the rights under the two bills of de...
The purpose of this project is to consider and report on the law affecting Maori fisheries.
This project considers the law of Parliamentary privilege in New Zealand.
This project proposes a draft Property Law Act to replace the Property Law Act 1952. One of the most important objectives of the new Act is to set forth rules of property law accessibly and in a manner which, allowing for the subject matter, can...
This project reviews the Property Law Act 1952. At the same time the Department of Justice is reviewing aspects of the Land Transfer Act 1952 because new techology is proposed for the system of registration. This project is concerned with certain...
This project reviews the law relating to personal property securities in New Zealand. It recommends that a new Personal Property Securities Act be enacted in place of Part IV of the Companies Act 1955, and the whole of the Chattels Transfer Act...
The Incorporated Societies Act 1908 is uncomfortably old and has been little amended since its enactment. Yet the range of community organisations that use this legal form is extensive in New Zealand. The focus of this review was on modernising...
In 1997 the Law Commission recommended a simplified procedure for dealing with habeas corpus applications. Habeas Corpus: Procedure (NZLC R44, 1997) http://www.lawcom.govt.nz...