Aotearoa New Zealand has laws aimed at protecting the public from reoffending risks posed by some offenders convicted of serious crimes. These laws enable the detention or supervision of those offenders beyond a fixed-term prison sentence (...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Criminal filter Criminal
- (-) Remove Evidence filter Evidence
- (-) Remove Courts and Dispute Resolution filter Courts and Dispute Resolution
- Human Rights (3) Apply Human Rights filter
- Other (3) Apply Other filter
- Civil (2) Apply Civil filter
- Family (1) Apply Family filter
- International Law (1) Apply International Law filter
- Property/Trusts (1) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Public (1) Apply Public filter
- Social (1) Apply Social filter
Hapori whānui me te tangata mōrea nui: he arotake o te mauhere ārai hē me ngā ōta nō muri whakawhiu | Public safety and serious offenders: a review of preventive detention and post-sentence orders
Project status: Calling for submissions Start date 30 May 2022 Last updated 18 May 2023