The Minister responsible for the Law Commission, Hon Kiri Allan, has asked Te Aka Matua o te Ture | Law Commission to review the protections in the Human Rights Act 1993 for transgender people, non-binary people and people with diverse sex...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Awaiting Government Response filter Awaiting Government Response
- (-) Remove Preparing report filter Preparing report
- (-) Remove Researching issues filter Researching issues
- Calling for submissions (1) Apply Calling for submissions filter
- (-) Remove Open filter Open
- Closed (27) Apply Closed filter
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Human Rights filter Human Rights
- (-) Remove International Law filter International Law
- Other (3) Apply Other filter
- Civil (2) Apply Civil filter
- Criminal (1) Apply Criminal filter
- Evidence (1) Apply Evidence filter
- Family (1) Apply Family filter
- Property/Trusts (1) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Public (1) Apply Public filter
- Social (1) Apply Social filter
Project status: Open Start date 16 January 2023 Last updated 26 May 2023
Hapori whānui me te tangata mōrea nui: he arotake o te mauhere ārai hē me ngā ōta nō muri whakawhiu | Public safety and serious offenders: a review of preventive detention and post-sentence orders
Aotearoa New Zealand has laws aimed at protecting the public from reoffending risks posed by some offenders convicted of serious crimes. These laws enable the detention or supervision of those offenders beyond a fixed-term prison sentence (...
He Arotake i te Ture mō ngā Huarahi Whakatau a ngā Pakeke | Review of Adult Decision-Making Capacity Law
Te Aka Matua o te Ture | Law Commission is reviewing how the law should respond when an adult’s decision-making is affected.