This project is a response to the Lange v Atkinson decision. Mr Lange, a former prime minister of New Zealand, claims damages for defamation from the author of an article published in a monthly magazine with a New Zealand-wide circulation and...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Awaiting Government Response filter Awaiting Government Response
- Discontinued (1) Apply Discontinued filter
- (-) Remove Open filter Open
- (-) Remove Closed filter Closed
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Civil filter Civil
- (-) Remove Commercial filter Commercial
- (-) Remove Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter Customary and Treaty Settlements Law
- Public (48) Apply Public filter
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (39) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Criminal (38) Apply Criminal filter
- Other (33) Apply Other filter
- Human Rights (27) Apply Human Rights filter
- Family (23) Apply Family filter
- Social (22) Apply Social filter
- Evidence (15) Apply Evidence filter
- Property/Trusts (15) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- International Law (8) Apply International Law filter
- Consumer (5) Apply Consumer filter
The purpose of this project is to consider and report on the law affecting Maori fisheries.
The purpose of this project was to examine and review the Limitation Act, which lays down rules for determining the cut-off dates after which it is too late for an intending plaintiff to bring a civil claim. When the Government indicated it...
Over the past two years the Law Commission has been examining various aspects of the law affected by electronic commerce. Our work seeks to ascertain whether any changes to the law are needed to fit the electronic environment in which much...
The purpose of this project is to review the legal framework for adoption in New Zealand as set out in the Adoption Act 1955 and the Adult Adoption Information Act 1985, and to recommend whether and how the framework should be modified to better...
The purpose of this project is to provide advice on whether existing classes of preferred creditors should continue to enjoy advantages over unsecured creditors when bankruptcy or liquidation intervened. The request for advice was made in the...
The purpose of this project to consider whether Part II of the Wages Protection and Contractors Liens Act 1939 should be re-enacted in some modified form.
This is the final report to be issued by the Law Commission on the International Trade Project which was started in October 1997. The Commission has, as part of that project, published the following reports and study papers: Electronic Commerce...
This project addresses the issue of whether in the interests of effective processes of tax assessment there should be a modification (beyond that already contained in the Tax Administration Act 1994 section 20) of the rules protecting from...
The purpose of this project is to enquire into and report on the following issues:
- Is there a need for changes, whether administrative or legislative, to address problems which have arisen in the period leading up to and in the course...