As an adjunct to its Electronic Commerce project, the Law Commission decided to consider how our laws should deal with computer misuse. Due to urgency in the matter, the report for this project report is confined to concepts and which does not...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Awaiting Government Response filter Awaiting Government Response
- (-) Remove Preparing report filter Preparing report
- Open (1) Apply Open filter
- Researching issues (1) Apply Researching issues filter
- (-) Remove Closed filter Closed
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Criminal filter Criminal
- (-) Remove Consumer filter Consumer
- Public (47) Apply Public filter
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (39) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Civil (32) Apply Civil filter
- Other (30) Apply Other filter
- Human Rights (24) Apply Human Rights filter
- Family (22) Apply Family filter
- Social (21) Apply Social filter
- Commercial (17) Apply Commercial filter
- Evidence (14) Apply Evidence filter
- Property/Trusts (14) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Customary and Treaty Settlements Law (10) Apply Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter
- International Law (7) Apply International Law filter
The purpose of this project is to examine how the existing New Zealand law applies to those who commit criminal acts in circumstances where they are victims of domestic violence, in particular, the defences of self-defence, provocation, duress...
This project examines the rule of law that no person acquitted of a crime can be prosecuted again for the same offence
This project addresses the issue of whether in the interests of effective processes of tax assessment there should be a modification (beyond that already contained in the Tax Administration Act 1994 section 20) of the rules protecting from...
The purpose of this project is to simplify the statutory provisions governing the laying of criminal charges and infringement offences and their progress through the court system to the point of determination, including appeals, so as to remove...
The purpose of this project is to advice the Ministry of Justice on issues relating to Police search powers. The issues include: the power to obtain assistance orders for the search of computer systems; the power to use tracking devices, and;...
In NZLC R73 : Some Criminal Defences with Particular Reference to Battered Defendants we stated that we would issue a supplementary report on the onus and standard of proof as to disputed facts on sentence; in particular, as these might relate to...
This project recommends changes to the framework for the regulation of life insurers and life insurance products in New Zealand.
A joint project with the Ministry of Justice describing and evaluating status hearings in the District Court. The study considers the purposes of status hearings, whether there is compliance with those purposes, whether there should be statutory...
This project reviewed the principles and scope of infringements as a contribution to a major project by the Ministry of Justice, and proposed a framework for reform.