The Minister responsible for the Law Commission, Hon Kiri Allan, has asked Te Aka Matua o te Ture | Law Commission to review the protections in the Human Rights Act 1993 for transgender people, non-binary people and people with diverse sex...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Civil filter Civil
- (-) Remove Courts and Dispute Resolution filter Courts and Dispute Resolution
- (-) Remove International Law filter International Law
- (-) Remove Property/Trusts filter Property/Trusts
- Human Rights (3) Apply Human Rights filter
- Other (3) Apply Other filter
- Public (2) Apply Public filter
- Criminal (1) Apply Criminal filter
- Evidence (1) Apply Evidence filter
- Family (1) Apply Family filter
- Social (1) Apply Social filter
Project status: Open Start date 16 January 2023 Last updated 26 May 2023
He Arotake i te Ture mō ngā Huarahi Whakatau a ngā Pakeke | Review of Adult Decision-Making Capacity Law
Te Aka Matua o te Ture | Law Commission is reviewing how the law should respond when an adult’s decision-making is affected.
Project status: Discontinued Start date 27 July 2016 Last updated 06 April 2021
The declaratory judgment is an important judicial remedy. It provides an efficient and effective means by which parties can clarify and establish their legal rights and obligations, without the need for further remedies. There is, however,...