The purpose of this project is to assist the Ministry of Justice in the context of the work it is currently doing by way of review of the Law Practitioners Act 1982.
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Human Rights filter Human Rights
- Public (50) Apply Public filter
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (40) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Criminal (39) Apply Criminal filter
- Civil (36) Apply Civil filter
- Other (33) Apply Other filter
- Family (23) Apply Family filter
- Social (22) Apply Social filter
- Commercial (18) Apply Commercial filter
- Property/Trusts (16) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Evidence (15) Apply Evidence filter
- Customary and Treaty Settlements Law (10) Apply Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter
- International Law (8) Apply International Law filter
- Consumer (5) Apply Consumer filter
The purpose of this project is to consider: whether there is a need for clarifying or extending the power of the Family Court to require a person to whom Part I of the Protection of Personal and Property Rights Act 1988 applies to live in...
This project originally commenced in 1994 at the suggestion of the Honourable Justice Durie, who at that time was Chief Judge of the Mäori Land Court. Justice Durie was of the view that some knowledge of Mäori custom would greatly assist judges...
This project sought to address issues in the Matrimonial Property Bill and the De Facto Relationships (Property) Bill introduced on 24 March 1998. The key issues were a) there were marked differences between the rights under the two bills of de...
In 1997 the Law Commission recommended a simplified procedure for dealing with habeas corpus applications. Habeas Corpus: Procedure (NZLC R44, 1997) http://www.lawcom.govt.nz...
A review of maximum penalties contained in the five major criminal statutes (Crimes Act 1961, Misuse of Drugs Act 1975, Land Transport Act 1998, Arms Act 1983, and Summary Offences Act 1981) was commenced by the Commission. Changes were to be...
This project discusses the absence of adequate safeguards for the protection of donors of enduring powers of attorney under the provisions of Part IX of the Protection of Personal Property Rights Act 1988.
This project examines the rule of law that no person acquitted of a crime can be prosecuted again for the same offence
This project addresses the Commission's concern about the relative lack of awareness of international law in New Zealand, and in particular of New Zealand’s international rights and obligations. It aims to contribute towards remedying this...
This project reviewed the forfeiture provisions under Part XIV of the Customs and Excise Act 1996, having regard to any analogous border control practices in comparable jurisdictions.