This project originally commenced in 1994 at the suggestion of the Honourable Justice Durie, who at that time was Chief Judge of the Mäori Land Court. Justice Durie was of the view that some knowledge of Mäori custom would greatly assist judges...
Each project is an area of law or subject matter that the Law Commission has agreed to review. The Commission works on several projects at a time. Together, these projects make up the Commission's annual work programme.
Use the search filters below to find particular projects. For more information on how we work see how we conduct projects.
- (-) Remove Awaiting Government Response filter Awaiting Government Response
- (-) Remove Work on hold filter Work on hold
- (-) Remove Discontinued filter Discontinued
- Researching issues (1) Apply Researching issues filter
- Open (3) Apply Open filter
- (-) Remove Closed filter Closed
Areas of law
- (-) Remove Public filter Public
- (-) Remove Civil filter Civil
- (-) Remove Family filter Family
- (-) Remove Social filter Social
- (-) Remove Evidence filter Evidence
- (-) Remove International Law filter International Law
- (-) Remove Consumer filter Consumer
- Courts and Dispute Resolution (40) Apply Courts and Dispute Resolution filter
- Criminal (37) Apply Criminal filter
- Other (30) Apply Other filter
- Human Rights (24) Apply Human Rights filter
- Commercial (17) Apply Commercial filter
- Property/Trusts (14) Apply Property/Trusts filter
- Customary and Treaty Settlements Law (10) Apply Customary and Treaty Settlements Law filter
This project sought to address issues in the Matrimonial Property Bill and the De Facto Relationships (Property) Bill introduced on 24 March 1998. The key issues were a) there were marked differences between the rights under the two bills of de...
The purpose of this project was to examine and review the Limitation Act, which lays down rules for determining the cut-off dates after which it is too late for an intending plaintiff to bring a civil claim. When the Government indicated it...
The purpose of this project is to consider and report on the law affecting Maori fisheries.
This project examines the response of the legal system to the experiences of women in New Zealand, recognising the importance of the Treaty of Waitangi in the examination of Maori women's experiences.
This project considers the law of Parliamentary privilege in New Zealand.
This project proposes a draft Property Law Act to replace the Property Law Act 1952. One of the most important objectives of the new Act is to set forth rules of property law accessibly and in a manner which, allowing for the subject matter, can...
This project reviews the Property Law Act 1952. At the same time the Department of Justice is reviewing aspects of the Land Transfer Act 1952 because new techology is proposed for the system of registration. This project is concerned with certain...
This project reviews the law relating to personal property securities in New Zealand. It recommends that a new Personal Property Securities Act be enacted in place of Part IV of the Companies Act 1955, and the whole of the Chattels Transfer Act...
This project examines the Limitation Act 1950 and makes recommendations on changes needed to it. The principal recommendation is that the 1950 Act is repealed and replaced with a new Limitation Defences Act of wide application and with three...